Tips on the Proper Walking Technique
When walking for fitness, be sure to use the proper walking technique to avoid injury and meet your fitness goals.
As you’re walking, remember to:
- Start slow and give yourself time to warm up.
- Stand up straight, look forward and keep your shoulders relaxed.
- Make sure your heel makes contact with the ground first; roll your foot forward from heel to toe, passing over the ball of your foot, and push off with your toes.
- Keep your steps short.
- Let your arms swing naturally with your steps. The faster your arms swing, the quicker you’ll walk.
- Stop if you feel any pain or become out of breath. Talk to your health care provider if pain or shortness of breath continues.