Walk to Shop & Walk to Work
Short errand or shopping walking trips
Thinking of walking instead of using the car to run errands or go shopping?
Before you leave:
- think about where you’re going, how far it is, how long it will take and what you might have to carry back home.
- Don’t plan to carry lots of really heavy items that could cause an injury or make you tired.
- Give yourself plenty of time and don’t rush.
- Check the forecast and dress to suit the weather.
- Keep your heart healthy, save money on gas and bus fare and help the environment by:
- Parking further away from your building.
- Getting off the bus before your stop and walking part of the way.
- Finding a co-worker to walk with you to make walking more fun.
- Changing your route to prevent boredom.
- If you can’t walk everyday, set a goal for a certain number of days each week and walk as part of your commute.
- If you have to carry things with you, make sure you have a good backpack that fits you properly. Avoid shoulder bags and don’t carry too much.