Walking with Children
Walking is a fun and easy activity for children and an ideal way for you to stay fit and spend time together.
The Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines for Children (5-11) and Youth (12-17) recommends accumulating at least 60 minutes of physical activity per day.
Be sure to keep your child safe while walking together.
- Choose a route that’s appropriate for everyone's age and fitness level.
- Be sure to teach your children safe walking habits as you walk with them.
- Check the Clean Air Peel website for the daily Air Quality Health Index (AQHI) and the Ultraviolet (UV) Index to plan outdoor activities accordingly and to protect your children when there is poor air quality.
Ways to get kids excited about walking
- Make the walk a fun and imaginative adventure.
- Try a scavenger hunt or see who can spot the most animals along the way.
- Plan a kid-friendly activity at your destination:
- Walk to a favourite playground.
- Go to the park and fly a kite.
- Feed the ducks in the pond.
- Bring a picnic.
- Walk to a local library or community event.
- Encourage and support your child’s enrolment in school related walking activities.
Ontario Active Living