Benefits of Walking
We often overlook walking as a form of exercise since it’s something we do naturally everyday.
Health benefits for all ages
More than half of our muscles are designed for walking — it’s a natural movement that’s virtually injury-free.
- Refreshes the mind, reduces fatigue and increases energy.
- Can help to control diabetes and reduce the risk of chronic disease, heart disease and stroke.
- Strengthens bones and helps prevent or control osteoporosis.
- Relieves stress and tension.
- Helps to maintain a healthy weight and a positive body image, especially when you combine it with healthy eating.
- Can be fun and social; a good way to spend time with family and friends.
Also, regular, brisk walking:
- Can reduce cholesterol and blood pressure and improve digestion.
- Trains your heart, lungs and muscles to work more efficiently.
An easy way to stay fit
- Simple and cheap: you don’t need lessons or specialized equipment.
- Suitable for almost everyone regardless of age or fitness level.
- Convenient: you can walk almost anywhere, inside or outside, at any time of year.
Walking also lets you adapt your effort as your fitness level improves and adjust the intensity of the exercise to suit your personal goals.
Walking helps the environment
When you choose to leave your car at home and walk to work, school, or nearby shops, you’re helping to reduce carbon emissions and contributing to a healthy environment.