Bicycle Facilities and Municipal Liability Workshop
On February 26, 2015 the Region of Peel hosted the Bicycle Facilities and Municipal Liability Workshop. It provided participants with a unique opportunity to speak with a lawyer and a police officer on cycling issues related to liability and interpretation of the law.
The workshop focused on:
- Increasing familiarity with the new cycling facility design guidelines identified in OTM Book 18: Cycling Facilities (2013) and the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario’s new Bikeway Design Manual (2014)
- Reviewing recommendations from OTM Book 18 regarding maintenance, risk management and liability as it relates to cycling infrastructure
- Reviewing the fundamentals of municipal liability in relation to active transportation infrastructure
- Learning about potential liability of employers and/or schools encouraging increased cycling
- Gaining perspective on the interpretation of the law by police enforcement, particularly dealing with definitions and laws that don’t support one another. E.G. Municipal By-laws vs. Highway Traffic Act vs. Criminal Code
Presentation Videos and Slides
Ontario Traffic Manual Book 18: Cycling Facilities (Video)
Dave McLaughlin, MMM Group Limited
Associated PowerPoint slides (PDF 6MB).
Bicycle Facilities and Municipal Liability Panel Discussion (Video)
Facilitated by Region of Peel